Graduate Profiles

Autumn 2010 - Summer 2011

The Honors Program salutes its graduates!

Welcome! Please join us in celebrating University of Washington's Honors graduates for the 2010-11 school year. Below you will find a list of some College Honors and Departmental Honors alumni and students who have completed, or are about to complete, their degrees here at University of Washington. We invite you to view their profiles to find out more about these remarkable individuals and their exciting plans for the future!

Sincerely,

The Honors Staff

(2009-10 graduate profiles are still available here)

• Quarter and Year of graduation:
    Spring 2011
    Are you graduating with College Honors or Departmental Honors?
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Neurobiology
    If you completed an Honors Thesis or Honors Research Project, what was the title or topic?
    Neuregulin-1 Isoforms Alter Myelin Internode Length in the Central Nervous System
    Where do you expect to be...
    ... One day after graduating?
    Relaxing with my family and friends and soaking up the Seattle sunshine
    ... One year after graduating?
    Finishing up my first year at the UW School of Medicine (Husky for life!!!)
    ...Ten years after graduating?
    Working as a family doctor with urban under-served communities, starting a family, and continuing to enjoy all the wonderful things life has to offer.
    Please share any comments you have on the impact that Honors has had on your undergraduate experience:
    Honors introduced me to some of my closest friends and gave me a smaller community where I felt I truly belonged. Studying abroad with Honors in Rome was the best experience of my undergraduate career.
    Do you have any advice for current Honors undergraduates?
    Never forget the wisdom of Ferris Bueller: "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. "
    AU 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    International Studies
    If you completed an Honors Thesis or Honors Research Project, what was the title or topic?
    The Aesthetics of Modernity: An Investigation of the Bangalore Metro Rail Project
    Right after graduation I will leave for Sierra Leone to go on the Honors study abroad trip.
    This next year I will travel extensively. I will spend one month in Sierra Leone, four months in India studying Hindi and beginning in January I will travel through east Africa from Cape Town to Cairo, then through Greece, Turkey, Russia and Mongolia.
    Following my travels I would like to attend graduate school to get my PhD in Development Studies. After this I hope to continue to travel and work abroad.
    Please share any comments you have on the impact that Honors has had on your undergraduate experience:
    This program has become so much more than just a notation on my diploma. The Honors Program, and the UW, is home. I have met the most wonderful people through this program and have established relationships that will last a lifetime.
    Follow your passions, never underestimate yourself or take your privilege for granted and always try to have an open heart and an open mind.
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Environmental Studies
    Wildlife Conservation in a Changing World: Case Studies of Pacific Northwest Species
    Relaxing with family and friends and getting ready for my trip to Wales, where I will spend three months volunteering for a marine conservation and research organization.
    Back at UW, working full-time in a research lab where I am currently employed as a student assistant. I look forward to enjoying life in Seattle and will probably be applying to grad schools.
    No idea! I would like to have a graduate degree and be well on my way to a career that I enjoy, perhaps in conservation or another environmental field. I would also like to have a writing career on the side, and my dream is to work for National Geographic.
    Take advantage of resources and opportunities, try to take a couple classes just for fun, and study abroad!
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Mathematics, Computer Science
    The 27 Lines on a Cubic Surface
    At my tap recital dancing in the front row
    In the UW Masters in Teaching program
    Teaching high school students in the Seattle Public Schools, starting a family, and enjoying myself
    Remember to stop studying every once in awhile and have some Nutella on toast :)
    Fall, 2010
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Art History
    I will be in Seattle.
    I will be in Beijing completing a Chinese language program.
    I will hopefully be in China or Japan working as an art museum curator.
    The Honors program allowed me to research topics of interest in great depth, and also gave me the opportunity to present my research to my peers and professors.
    I hope that current Honors undergraduates take advantage of this opportunity to develop their academic interests and build strong relationships with their professors and peers in the field.
    Spring 11
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Anthropology
    The DMZ: Reviewing Past and Present Perspectives of the US Forces Korea and the Korean Demilitarized Zone
    partying with friends
    teaching English in South Korea while researching Korean culture and issues
    doing anthropology in East Asia
    It provided me with insights into a possible career focus
    Don't give up. Make sure you have a good/understanding faculty advisor. Adapt and Survive. Keep up the Fire, and get 'er done. But don't neglect your other obligations, they are important too.
    Autumn 2010
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    History & Comparative History of Ideas
    Bona Babel: Radio, Comedy, and the Not-quite-Nonsense of Media-Constructed Gay Identities in 1960s Britain
    Personal Website or Blog URL:
    ...trying not to weep openly amidst waves of nostalgia !
    ...somewhere exciting and formerly foreign, far away !
    ...a state of at least semi-contentment...
    I can't imagine life without the amazing, unbelievably intelligent, hilarious, witty friends I met in the Honors program, especially Freshman Honors floor! Plus writing my Honors thesis was the most words and pages and hours of hair-tearing in my young academic life, but SUCH A GREAT ADVENTURE.
    Get out and do stuff! Join a club, or a music group, or a sport, or all three! Attend a rally! Go to concerts! BUT also make time for yourself. Try not to obsess over grades. Your profs are more interesting as people; go to office hours! And get more sleep!!
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Biochemistry
    S1P2 Receptor Regulation of Neointimal Hyperplasia
    Sleeping. Watching TV. Eating doughnuts. And playing with my puppy.
    Packing my bags for medical school (hopefully).
    Graduated from medical school, finished with my residency, and working as an OB/GYN (or neurosurgeon or pediatrician)in the Seattle area.
    Find you passion early and pursue it as much as possible. It's never too early to take part in different experiences, whether it be research or study abroad. Take as many opportunities that come your way and have fun.
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Political Science
    Rockstars, Retirees, and Perceptions of Political Influence
    At home, catching up on some much-needed sleep!
    Preparing to begin a Masters in Teaching program, hopefully at a university in the Seattle area.
    Teaching elementary school! At least that's the plan right now..
    The Honors program provided a friendly sense of community on the huge UW campus. I owe so much of my positive experience freshman year (and the following three years!) to my experiences living in the Honors house and my involvement with Honors freshman seminars.
    Take advantage of all the great opportunities the Honors program has to offer! You won't regret it. :)
    Spring 2011
    Departmental
    Major(s):
    Sociology and Communication
    Ghettotainment? Problematizing "touristic ways of seeing" in the LA Gang Tours
    I am moving home to Santa Monica, California. I will spend the next year working on applications for either a masters in Communication or an MBA. I plan to turn my jewelry making hobby into a small business. The link above is to my WordPress site where I am just beginning to showcase my work!
    I hope to be enrolled in graduate school by next spring. In a year I also hope I will be selling my jewelry line either in local boutiques or off my website.
    The Communication departmental honors thesis provided me with the opportunity to experiment with independent research. I think it has also inspired me to pursue graduate school. I am more confident as a student knowing that I have completed an independent research project on my own!
    The departmental honors theses are the best way to challenge yourself, especially if you are considering graduate school.
    Spring 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Political Science
    Labor-Market Discrimination
    Relax for a month and move on to the next project in life.
    I hope to be in Graduate School or Law School
    Only God knows. But I hope to be working for the improvement of mankind.
    The Honors Program has improved my academic education both qualitatively and quantitatively. I met wonderful students some of the best, smartest and highly intelligent at the University of Washington.
    Do your best, work hard, and be proud of your achievements. Don't forget to smile frequently.
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Biochemistry
    Development of an assay for G4-induced rearrangements in the prion gene
    BBQin' with my friends and family.
    Working in a research lab, getting ready for graduate school.
    Finishing up my post-doc, looking forward to becoming a principal investigator.
    Honors has given me a much broader world view, and my peers in the program have provided me with new perspectives on a variety of social issues.
    Don't be afraid to sign up for Honors science quiz sections. They won't hurt your grade, and they will make you a much better scientist.
    Winter 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    International Studies, Comparative History of Ideas
    After the War: From Cambodia to America and Back Again
    Somewhere in Seattle, continuing to celebrate my graduation.
    In Washington, DC finishing up my term with AmeriCorps.
    I hope to have finished graduate school, be self-employed, and be making a difference somewhere in the world (preferably somewhere with lots of sun)...
    Challenge yourself, try new things, and don't be afraid to fail!
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Economics, ACMS
    Unemployment Rates and Negative Equity
    Packing for Russia!
    Working in Economic Consulting in the Bay Area. Perhaps deciding which Econ PhD program to pursue.
    Hopefully teaching Economics. And globe-trotting.
    Honors introduced me to my closest circle of friends. As such, impact on my undergraduate experience is an understatement. Through the great friends I've made due to the program, Honors will be influencing me for the rest of my life!
    Enjoy it while you still can! Also, study abroad for a longer period, and in a discipline unrelated to your major.
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    English, Physiology and Comparative History of Ideas (CHID)
    Counter-logic, Deconstruction, and Interventions in the (Re)production of White Hegemony
    At home, chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool, BBQ'ing it up with family and friends cause I'm done with school.
    Continuing to learn, explore and be humbled by the infinite possibilities that life and Being have to offer. Perhaps be accepted into a graduate program. Working at something that enriches my soul. Continuing to write and be.
    I can imagine lots of possibilities... From a published author and professor to a dirty hippie mendicant. I expect go be happy: imbued with a deep sense of comfort and acceptance of life. I expect to have a close-knit network of reciprocal support and life-sharing individuals.
    The Honors program taught me to seize opportunities, people, advice and lessons around me, because no one will do it for me. It showed me the value of a critical and open mind. It allowed me to go on the Sierra Leone program - the greatest journey I have experienced, as of now.
    Get to know everyone you like and feel a connection with. A little initiative, openness and questions go a long way. Everyone is similar in very fundamentals ways, but express themselves through different experiences and realities, so be open and understanding to all paths you cross! Love what is
    Spring 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Sociology, Political Science
    FOB vs. BANANA: Influence of Korean Ethnic Church in Measuring Korean American Assimilation
    Still in Seattle, packing to leave!
    In graduate school in Boston.
    Practicing family counseling
    Work hard!
    Spring 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Bioengineering
    Rapid Prototyping Silicon Photonics for Biosensing Applications
    Sleeping! Preferably in my bed, but I'm open for just about anything.
    I plan on getting a biomedical engineering job preferably at a hospital to put my education to use for the benefit of others.
    Either starting my own biotechnology company or working somewhere in an existing medical device company.
    Honors has been a great experience for me, it allowed me push myself beyond what I ever thought I could do taught me what it means to have a well rounded quality education
    Stick with it, it will all be worth it in the end.
    Spring 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Business Administration: Finance, Accounting, Certificate in International Studies in Business - Chinese Track
    On a cruise to Alaska with family!
    In Salt Lake City, UT working for Goldman Sachs in Asset Management Operations
    Have my MBA, CPA, CFA.
    I really enjoyed the Foster Honors Brown Bag Series with professors from different departments at the business school.
    Learn a new language, study abroad, and remember to have fun!
    Spring 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Environmental Studies
    As soon as I graduate I will be enjoying the beautiful Seattle summer sunshine and catching up on some much needed rock climbing.
    I will be half way through my graduate studies at the Evan's School of Public Affairs. I will also be one year into running my clean-tech start-up company that my team and I are putting together right now.
    I will likely be working in government or as a consultant.
    Work hard play hard. Or go insane.
    Spring 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Law, Societies, and Justice
    The European Institute for Gender Equality: Implementing or Hindering Gender Mainstreaming in the European Union?
    I will be finishing up the last lessons of pre-institute work for Teach For America. I also need to pack up my apartment to move to Kansas City, Missouri by the 18th of June.
    My first year as and elementary education teacher in KCMO will be complete. I will have just taken the June LSAT.
    In ten years, I will be done with law school. I hope to spend some time working on disability-related national policy. There is A LOT we can (and should) learn from other countries. But luck beats planning any day, so we shall see ;)
    Quite honestly, Honors and I just happened to find one another. It was not something I went into college seeking out. I simply followed the opportunities and challenges that my major offered and this is where I ended up.
    Just do what you love. The rest will fall into place.
    Spring 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Environmental Science and Resource Management
    Stream Flow Regimes and the Applicability of Urbanization Metrics
    Moving into my summer live-in, and catching up on sleep!
    Finishing the first year of my graduate program and choosing a topic for my doctoral thesis.
    Happily married, starting a family, and out of debt!
    I was able to jump-start my experience with real-world research, which will be incredibly valuable as I start graduate-level research.
    Expect a challenge, and make friends with your professors and research advisors! You may end up spending more time with them than with your roommates!
    Spring 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Program on the Environment
    Preparing to move back home with my parents in Chicago for the summer.
    Graduating from Lund University's one-year Master's Programme in Sustainable Business Leadership and hopefully preparing to start a rewarding job.
    Ten years closer to paying back my student loans.
    As a departmental honors candidate, I got to experience my degree program more fully and delve deeper into the topics I investigated. I appreciated the opportunities that the Honors Program presented for me.
    What matters to employers much more than your grades or distinctions is which major you choose. Your major will set the course for the rest of your life and not all majors are created equal. Do not choose something because it's what you love: Make sure it's employable as well.
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Political Science and Economics
    Policy Diffusion and Positive Preemption: The Case of Menu Labeling in the United States
    Celebrating with family and friends, and packing for Hawaii!
    Finishing up my first year as a Junior Investment Analyst and applying for law or graduate school.
    Working in an interesting and challenging career, perhaps at my own firm. Starting a family, taking the time to travel, and enjoying what life has to offer.
    Honors allowed me to meet some of my closest friends and take fulfilling, in-depth courses. Throughout the process, I have learned a lot about the world and about myself. It's been a great experience.
    Take the time to relax and enjoy each day. Know that one way or another, everything will work out.
    Summer 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Journalism
    The Political Rhetoric and Communicative Techniques of the Health Care Reform Debate
    Celebrating with my friends at Alki Beach.
    I plan on working at a community newspaper in the Seattle area.
    Still plan on being in the news industry! I also hope to continue my work with at-risk high school students.
    A few of the honors courses I took deepened my tolerance and empathy for diverse populations, societies and lifestyles. To me, this is what college is all about.
    Don't let school get in the way of your education :)
    Winter 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Jazz Studies
    The day after graduation, I will be returning to my current work as a craft cocktail bartender at a local Seattle restaurant. With creative and professional motivations currently shifted away from music and towards the culinary field, I still remain dedicated to music as a passion and lifelong art.
    Having worked as a professional in the cocktail industry for one year, I will be faced with the option to either continue working and striving towards small-business ownership, or the possibilities of independent global travel. Music performance will have been a serious pursuit in recent months.
    Having established a successful restaurant and cocktail business in the Seattle area, I will continue pursuing music performance and recording along with culinary production. The hopeful possibilities of beginning a family may blossom around this time, along with regular bouts of global travel.
    The honors program at the University of Washington was a major inspiration for me to pursue global travel as a serious endeavor. In addition, via the departmental honors program I was able to ambitiously create a challenging undergraduate curriculum.
    I encourage current honors undergraduates to use all of the tools available through the honors department and their academic departments to explore exciting and ambitious experiences. Whether that be travel adventures or exciting course work, a plethora of people and resources are at your disposal.
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    International Studies (BA), Economics (BS)
    Catching up on sleep! And see dear friends before we all part ways...
    Working in Health-care Consulting in the San Francisco Bay Area, traveling all over the West Coast for my job and exploring lots of new cities! And hopefully exploring new interests like urban farming and watercolor painting.
    Honors has given me so many opportunities to grow as a scholar and as a person, providing me with close friends for life! I can't imagine college with a more welcoming and supportive community. If I could do it over again, I wouldn't change a thing!
    From the world's worst procrastinator: start everything early, from assignments to house- and job-hunting. All-nighters just aren't worth it. You'll hate yourself in the morning.
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Biology, History
    Highly Conserved Exons and Complex Disease
    The day after commencement, I'll be attending my brother's departmental graduation for Civil and Environmental Engineering. I'll probably take a long-awaited nap when I get home.
    I'll be finishing up my first year of medical school.
    I'll be starting a family and building a Family Medicine practice in an underserved area, hopefully rural. I'll finally have a newfoundland mix puppy, which I will have been wanting to get since forever by that point.
    Don't get disheartened! Sometimes it might seem like you'll never really get to do whatever it is you're working towards, but keep going and it'll all suddenly come together.
    Spring 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Civil & Environmental Engineering
    Spatial Variance in Air Temperature Data and Its Impact on Hydrological Forecasting
    Sleeping, hiking, out on the lake, or any combination thereof.
    Receiving my masters degree from Stanford (hopefully) and considering what my next step will be: a PhD or beginning my career as a professional engineer.
    Pursuing a departmental honors degree provided opportunities to delve deeper into my coursework as well as opened doors to work on research projects with graduate students and professors. I feel the honors experience greatly enriched my degree and my experience at UW.
    Work hard and enjoy yourself...it goes by too quick.
    Spring 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Neurobiology
    The role of GABA in stimulus-specific adaptation in the inferior colliculus of the big brown bat, Eptesicus fuscus
    Continuing to work on my job search and taking some time off to spend with friends and family.
    I hope to be employed in neuroscience research, either at the university of in private research.
    Ten years after I graduate I hope to have completed a PhD in Neurobiology or a related field, and will be seeking a professorship, potentially at a liberal arts college where I can interact closely with my students.
    Work on my thesis and in research has definitely taught me valuable skills I will need in my future career and continuing education.
    Never stop exploring. There are literally hundreds of courses offered every quarter - take a class that isn't required of you, but can be related to your field of study. You would be surprised how interesting and entertaining an advanced elective can be.
    Summer 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Comparative Literature and Comparative History of Ideas.
    One is titled "Blackout What You Like!" and the other "Ecology and Precarity in the Theater of Eugene Ionesco"
    Soldotna, Alaska
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    CS & EE
    I expect to be celebrating the completion of my college journey with friends and fellow graduates
    I expect to still be happily employed. Beyond that, I can't wait to see what the future holds.
    Ten years is too far ahead to plan. As long as I am enjoying life, I will be content.
    I had a fantastic time with the college honors program. The Honors chemistry and calculus series were far better than the generic versions, and my best quarter of college was spent studying abroad in Rome with the Honors department.
    Work hard, have fun, and get to know your professors personally.
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Math and Biology
    Information Theory: A Mathematical and Biological Exploration
    Taking a deep breath, we made it! The day after graduation I'll likely be sleeping in and enjoying the company of my friends before we move all across the country this summer and fall.
    I will be in San Fransisco working a job in hospital consulting. I will be enjoying the new adventure in a new city for a time and learning more about "what I want to be when I grow-up".
    I hope I will have a family and be pursuing a career that stretches my thinking and encourages me to work harder as I pour myself into the things I am most passionate about.
    The Honors Community put me together with amazing people who are still my best friends! The classes, advisers, and other students have challenged me and taught me so much. I am so glad I had the opportunity to be a part of the Honors Community.
    Jump in! Get involved, talk to people about what you are passionate about. College (and beyond) is the time to share our passions and grow them in others. We are much better at changing the world together, unified, then we are apart.
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    BA Anthropology and BS Economics
    September 11th: Lower Manhattan, Narrative and Memory
    Orcas Island, enjoying the Northwest summertime. Nothing better! Also, s'mores!
    I'll probably be in San Francisco or New York. Hopefully, I will be employed.
    I hope all of humanity is living on Mars, and that the earth is one giant nature reserve.
    I would never have come to the conclusion that we should all move to Mars without the forward thinking mix of science and humanities that the Honors program provided. Thanks!
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Psychology
    Dietary Behavior and Preference for Alcoholic Beverages: Implications for Modifying Disease Risk
    I will be in flight to Phoenix to train as a future teacher in the Teach For America Colorado Corps.
    School will just have gotten out for my first batch of middle schoolers in Colorado Springs. I will be preparing to submit my applications to various medical schools (and with great luck, will be able to come back to the UW!).
    I hope to practicing family medicine for the underserved in either a rural or urban setting.
    Honors was one of the greatest experiences I had as an undergraduate. It allowed me to feel part of a small community, actually get to know my professors, take courses that focused on human rights, and participate in a ton of fun events!
    Take advantage of all the opportunities available to you as an Honors student! You don't have to wait until your Junior year to keep updated on the latest activities, scholarship opportunities, and class offerings.
    Spring 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Linguistics
    Sonority Dispersion and Korean Demisyllables
    Teaching English in South Korea.
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Biology (General)
    The Effect of C1q on Osteopontin Expression in Antigen Presenting Cells after Interferon and Immune Complex Stimulation in an in vitro model of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
    I will be spending time with my friends and family, and exploring all of the hidden treasures I haven't yet seen in Seattle.
    I will be teaching high school or middle school biology/general science in the Bay Area through the program Teach for America. My plan is to apply to medical school as soon as the school year ends after my first year of teaching.
    I plan to have finished my internal medicine residency and be in the midst of my rheumatology fellowship.
    The Honors Program provided a smaller community that made meeting like-minded individuals much easier. Also, some of my best professors were involved in this program, or strong supporters of it.
    Take advantage of the Honors study abroad programs!
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Bioengineering
    Wondering how four years flew by
    Finishing the first year of med school
    Take advantage of as many experiences as you can, and enjoy every single day of undergrad!
    Spring 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    English language and literature, environmental studies minor
    Walking the Walk and Talking the Talk: Performing and accepting the woman warrior in Tamora Pierceís novels
    Re-reading books for all the great new releases coming this summer -- including the last Harry Potter movie and the next George R.R. Martin book!
    Working at a publishing house in New York City!
    Publishing and reading young adult literature or speculative fiction within a community of fellow fans and professionals!
    Honors allowed me to research topics that I would not have been able to otherwise, like my honors thesis.
    Take advantage of the comments, resources and friendships of your fellow honors program members!
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Biology: Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental
    Combined effect of a PDE4 inhibitor and CXCR2 antagonist on insulin resistance in high fat fed mice.
    Sleeping.
    In medical school.
    Finishing up my fellowship in endocrinology.
    In the honors program I was able to broaden my education by taking classes in many different disciplines and by interacting with students from seemingly every department on campus.
    Taking an honors schedule can be hectic, but make sure to take time for yourself. See a movie, see a friend, go sit in the quad on a sunny day, or just take the time to listen to your favorite song. It's these short breaks that end up paying off the most later.
    Winter 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Comparative History of Ideas
    The Western Wedding: Origins and Attitudes
    I have taken several months to recover. One thing I learned is that my personal identity has been intimately bound up in my academic work. I am now at the tail end of a metamorphosis that involves cutting and selling 18 in. of hair, reworking my wardrobe, and learning the mysteries of makeup.
    I am hoping to get a solid job and earn money until I get into graduate school.
    If I spend more than 5 yr. in grad. school, I fear I shall never leave! I want to make a lasting impact on people, in life, working as either a librarian, a teacher at a small college, or a small business entrepreneur. And the very moment we can afford a house, together, I shall marry my espoused.
    Honors is what you make of it. It opened up options for scholarships and travel programs that would not otherwise have been available, and the honors program did a very thorough and consistent job of keeping me aware of all the opportunities available, throughout the university.
    The difference between honors in high school and honors in college is that the former is about production while the latter is about quality. Grades in college will always be less important than thorough, competent, innovative quality thought. Focus on learning. Don't let grades get in your way.
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Biochemistry
    Experimental Analysis of a pH Gradient-Induced Force on Charged Particles
    Relaxing with my family and recovering from jet lag after returning from a wonderful English Department study abroad in London.
    Finishing my first year at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine.
    I'll be back in Seattle, helping patients and conducting translational research as a pediatric specialist of some sort - perhaps a pediatric surgeon or pulmonologist.
    Honors has allowed me to have experiences I would otherwise never have had: some of my most interesting classes have been with honors and honors has encouraged me to do research I love that I might otherwise never have gotten involved in. Overall, I'm incredibly grateful to the Honors community!
    Keep organized and be persistent. If at all possible, go on a study abroad and get involved in research. Both will change you.
    Spring 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology
    Molecular Mechanisms of Fertilization in Drosophila Melanogaster
    I won't be walking this year, because on Sunday, June 12th I hope to be somewhere near South Dakota on a road trip to Connecticut where I will be doing my Teach for America training this summer.
    At this time next year, I plan to be teaching secondary biology, chemistry, or general science in an underserved community in Connecticut. As of right now, it looks like I may be teaching high school chemistry at a magnet school in New Haven for the next two years, at least.
    In ten years, I hope to have completed medical school and be fresh out of my residency somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. Alternatively, I haven't ruled out making a career out of teaching, and I know I will have a hard time leaving my classroom if I decide to go to medical school.
    Get involved as soon as you can! The Honors program is a great way to get to know your professors and faculty better, and you would not believe that opportunities that are only available to Honors students. Take advantage of this program to make the best of your time here!
    Spring 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Environmental Studies
    Landfill Fires on Tribal Reservations:Effects on Human and Ecosystem Health
    I expect to be in Seattle with my extended family, who is coming to see me walk at graduation. Hopefully, the day will include eating a huge breakfast at the Rusty Pelican!
    I hope to be working a job or traveling the world. In one year, I also hope to have a better idea for what I would like to focus on in Graduate School.
    I hope to own a dog, a cat and a bunny. I also would like to live somewhere with a yard. A solid job that I am happy with would be swell too.
    I enjoyed the Honors seminars and the Honors colloquium. It was a great way to discuss topics with people you would not normally meet.
    Take advantage of UW's opportunities. Join a club, do the service days, participate in the Honors colloquium/Research Symposium. You will be all the better for it.
    Spring 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Economics
    Causality Relationship between Sectorial Electricity Usage and Economic Growth
    Packing up for a road trip (Chicago->Cincinnati->New York->DC)with my peers from China!
    Launching a job hopefully somewhere sunny.
    If i can't become a social entrepreneur who serve the need/interest of Chinese students overseas, i will just start a restaurant specializing in Beijing food.
    The department honor program provided me with more exposure to researches, department faculties, and opportunities I never expected. But I'm most grateful for the awesome Econ peers I met in the program who have been great support and friends.
    Summer 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    History
    The Lady Ruler and Her House: a Portrait of Twelfth Century Sanctity
    I'll probably be reading some Latin poetry... and crying... and hopefully eating cake.
    Finishing my masters in merry old England--hopefully toasting with friends and speaking Old Norse.
    I plan on time travel. I'll tell Martin Luther that you said hi.
    Get to know your professors--they are probably awesome! Also, you'll need their help to get into a graduate program. Balance your life: study and have fun--go crazy every so often and make sure you jump into the fountain at least once.
    Spring 2011
    College
    Major(s):
    Economics and International Studies
    One day after graduating, I am planning on doing NOTHING!
    One year after graduating, I will be working at Corporate Bank of America as a Global Commercial Banking Analyst. During the summers, I'll be attending as many Mariners games as possible and playing tennis. In the winter, I'll be snowboarding at Stevens/Crystal/Snoqualmie.
    Hopefully I will have my MBA and be running my own business!
    Honors was an awesome experience, I got to know students and faculty. I honestly didn't participate as much as I could have due to my other commitments (sorry HSAP/baking contest/other activities!) but it was still fun and totally worth being a part of.
    Just do what makes you happy. The world is hard enough without you making it harder. Find out what you're passionate about and put your work to good use.
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Biochemistry and Microbiology
    Analysis of the immunogenicity of TprK conserved regions in Treponema pallidum
    I will be getting ready to leave for Nepal for three months where I will be volunteering at a the Dhading District Hospital.
    I will be working in the ER of Highline hospital while getting ready for medical school in the fall.
    Hopefully I will be working as an orthopaedic surgeon somewhere in the greater Seattle area.
    Honors thoroughly enriched my college experience primarily through my study abroad experience.
    Take as many honors classes as you can and definitely study abroad.
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Mechanical Engineering
    Mass and Momentum Transport in the Carotid Artery Bifurcation
    Relaxing with family and friends and packing for my trip to Europe!
    Working at Gore on medical devices and enjoying my job, life, and new home in Flagstaff, Arizona.
    Applying my skills and experiences for an interesting and complex problem. Traveling and exploring the world!
    The Honors program linked me with many interesting minds who I have forged life long friendships with. Honors courses challenged me to really understand my personal beliefs and added refreshing diversity to my math and science heavy schedule.
    Enjoy a healthy balance of academics and recreation in college. Most of all, have fun!
    Autumn, 2010
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology
    Home in Oregon.
    Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine.
    Residency program.
    Honors courses helped me become a more critical thinker and a better communicator. Furthermore, writing my honors thesis prepared me for submitting a paper for publication. Most importantly, I met incredible professors and students through the Honors program.
    If you are not happy doing something, you are not doing it right.
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Microbiology
    Identification of Novel Burkholderia mallei Quorum Sensing BmaI1 Synthase Inhibitors
    Hanging out with my family and friends here in Seattle!
    Working in a microbiology research lab.
    Serving as a doctor in a local community and abroad on medical missions.
    Some of the most life-impacting courses I have taken at UW have been in the Honors program. The quality of the instructors and course content have been great, and I have enjoyed the diversity in the course subjects.
    It is up to you to put the time and energy into the Honors courses you take. If you immerse yourself in your Honors classes, you will gain so much. If you choose not to work at it, you will probably get by, but you will miss out on the weight of insight that the Honors courses have to offer.
    Spring 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Economics
    Local Government Competition in China
    Roadtrip to Mt. Rainier and Olympic National Park with my family!
    Complete my master degree at UVa and return to China from the Global Immersion program in Europe. Start working in Hong Kong.
    I will start my own business, open the first chain store of my beauty club that dedicates to spread the method of creating natural looking beauty without the help of makeup.
    I receive additional emails about events and opportunities than non-honors students.
    College is where you make life-time friends! Good GPA may not impress professors, but good personality will definitely bring you awesome friends!
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Computer Science (BS) and Vocal Performance (BM)
    In bed. Sleeping. Very, very soundly.
    PhD program in Computer Science at UC Riverside.
    I don't really care about my location in ten years, but wherever it is, I will probably be enjoying a computer sciencey position.
    Spring 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Speech and Hearing Sciences and Spanish with a minor in Education, Learning & Societies
    Accurate, Efficient Measurement of Finiteness Marking: A Comparison of Three Measures
    On a plane to Hawaii
    At the University of Washington pursuing a masters degree in Speech Language Pathology.
    Working as A Speech Language Pathologist in an elementary school in California or Washington.
    Through the departmental honors program I have been able to work closely with a professor on developing and completing a research project. This has given me a deeper understanding of the field of Speech Language Pathology and has left me feeling prepared and excited to begin my career.
    The extra time and effort you spend as a member of the honors program will have a very positive impact on your experience at UW and on your future endeavors.
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    English, History
    Adapting the Graphic Canon: Literature, Literacy, and Shakespeare's Lovers
    Strolling Green Lake drinking coffee and contemplating all the amazing times I had, friends I made, and blessings I received during college, indulging in far too much nostalgia.
    Working on my Master's in Teaching, living in a room with a view, and reading all the books I wanted to read but never had time for.
    To quote Maria from the Sound of Music: "To find out what is the will of God, and do it wholeheartedly."
    My best experience with Honors was the Honors study abroad in Rome in Summer 2009. Those weeks were filled with memories and an amazing community of Honors students. I'll never forget the gelato, the Campo de Fiori, the best 4th of July party ever, and Caravaggio's Boy With a Basket of Fruit.
    Study abroad, get involved, take pictures of everything you do, don't worry about your grades, and invest in relationships with others!
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Computer Science
    Externalizing Security Policy from the Seattle Sandbox Kernel
    The day after graduation I will still be in town, trying to let it sink in that I've finally graduated. I'll try to overcome my nostalgia with hope and excitement about future adventures.
    A year after graduation I expect to be in San Francisco. I am joining a small startup, Kiip, to build a rewards network and to make our customers happy. I will be helping build the technology behind our product. Hopefully I'll be making new friends, and exploring the city.
    Ten years.... I will probably stay in San Francisco for the next decade, working with Kiip and other startups. I plan to go to grad school within the next few years or so. I enjoy technology and software engineering, so I hope to remain active in that field. Hopefully I'll have found a life partner!
    I enjoyed the honors program for a number of reasons. The primary reason is the environment and the fellow students. The students in the program are much more focused on their academics and represent the best and brightest. I really enjoy that environment and passion for learning.
    College, like everything else is about balance. Work [hard], but enjoy yourself as well. Four years will be over in a heartbeat, and its not the countless hours of studying you will fondly remember. That said, do research, study hard, and setup your future foundation.
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Neurobiology
    Celebrating with my family and friends.
    Getting ready to attend medical school.
    Practicing as a primary care doctor, starting a family, and enjoying life!
    I met many of my friends through the Honors dorm and in Honors classes. I learned some of my most interesting and insightful knowledge through the Honors courses and had the most amazing experience studying abroad on the Honors Costa Rica trip!
    Take advantage of as many Honors opportunities as you can!
    Spring 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Comparative Literature
    The Gaze of a Flaneur in Colonial Urban Space
    "I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till I drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion." - Jack Kerouac, On the Road
    Working in a foreign country, preparing for graduate school.
    Teaching and writing in anywhere I can make an impact.
    Never stop asking questions and be awake.
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Civil and Environmental Engineering; International Studies (Development)
    A Critique of Development Through the Analysis of Potable Water Projects in Rural China
    I will be getting on a plane to Guatemala to conduct water quality tests and create hydrological models to help local communities in their court case against large agrobusiness.
    I will be finishing up a year long M.Phil in Engineering for Sustainable Development at Cambridge University.
    Who knows but I am excited to find out!
    My undergraduate experience was the honors program. It allowed me to pursue my eclectic set of interests in academia while surrounding me with a group of like-minded and driven individuals. Some of my best memories of UW has involved the honors program and its students. Good luck to all graduates!!!
    Take your time, no need to rush. Six years will be over before you know it ;)
    Spring 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    English--Literature
    Murdering the Obstinate Beast: Redefining the Bulgakovian Reading and the Prophetic Postmodern in The Master and Margarita
    Getting some extra sleep for the first time in two years!! But then spending a rare day off with my closest friends and family.
    After some world traveling and cocktail waitressing, hopefully getting started on a Masters thesis at a great graduate school, and possibly making the move into teaching.
    After affixing a "Dr." to the front side of my name, I hope to be reading books I want to read, teaching classes at a community college or university, researching and writing! And maybe some more traveling for kicks.
    The Honors program has allowed me a space to challenge myself and to make some of my closest friends at UW. If I could do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat.
    Keep continuing to push and challenge yourself, make the effort to be part of your small community and the person that you become on the other end of Honors will thank you for it.
    Spring 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Political Science/Economics
    Why Did Seoul Keep Low Profile on the Koguryo Controversy despite Strong Anti-Chinese Sentiment and the South Korean Publicís Demand for Stern Countermeasures against Beijing?î
    I will go back to my home in South Korea and spend time with my family.
    I will be in a graduate program in political science.
    I will teach and do research on political science in a college.
    I appreciate the program especially because I have taken honors seminars with other honors students. It is a worthwhile challenge for me, and I see a great improvement in my academic life.
    Do your best!
    Summer 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Spanish and Latin American Studies
    La política de la alteridad (The Politics of Alterity, about the Self and the Other in stories by Julio Cort·zar and Augusto Monterroso)
    On my way to Mt. Rainier with my fiancé!
    Starting student teaching in an Elementary ELL classroom for the UW's MIT program.
    Teaching in an Elementary ELL or dual language English/Spanish classroom in Walla Walla, WA.
    Taking Clarke Speed's class my first quarter changed everything about how I approached every other class - it made me see things in a new light, and really shaped who I am as a thinker today.
    Spring 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Economics, ACMS
    Crisis Transmission in the Eurozone: Asset Market (dis)integration
    Buying a plane ticket to Turkey :)
    Pursuing a Ph.D. program in Econ at Brown University
    Working in Finance, traveling the world.
    I met quite a few of my friends in honors classes, and the thesis was by far the most enriching project I worked on in undergrad. Overall, awesome experience!
    Don't spend all of your time in the library! Get out there and enjoy yourselves!
    Spring 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Political Science & Finance
    Chasing the Policy Dragon
    Partying.
    Investments.
    Money. Lots.
    Got to be with other students who enjoy pol-sci and didn't just use it as an 'easy in' major.
    Don't party too hard.
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Geography (BA) Public Health (BS)
    Park Access in NW Seattle; and Macroeconomic Fluctuation and Mortality: Exploring the Economic Determinants of Health
    On the beach in Hawaii enjoying a nice break from school and work.
    Halfway through my masters program working on field work in foodborne illness epidemiology
    Working for a government agency or private firm on foodborne epi.
    Honors was a great program to be a part of. The courses were interesting and challenging. They made college courses more than just memorization and regurgitation. The advisers were helpful and knowledgeable. Most importantly, I was able to go on the best exchange to Utrecht, Netherlands.
    Spring 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    BS Individualized Studies in Cognitive Science; BA Philosophy
    The Hidden Story: Case Studies of Entailment and Presupposition Differences In Politically Disparate News Media
    Sunning by a pool
    Starting a nonprofit to promote human rights; and researching the potential for robot rights
    Writing, teaching or coaching
    Health and wellbeing are more important than grades and awards.
    Fall 2010
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Business Administration: Finance & Accounting
    Brazil. Well, I'm here already and I'm going to be missing my graduation so I think that counts. I am attempting to learn Portuguese and playing soccer.
    In San Francisco, CA working for Deloitte in Audit.
    Given the recent success of business majors in matters of speculation, I think I can safely answer this question. I will be fluent in Spanish and Portuguese and working for a Green-Tech company.
    The Honors Program gave my undergraduate degree in business a soul to balance out my other more technical course work. The Honors Program study abroad I did in Buenos Aires, Argentina was easily my best college experience.
    Study abroad in a second language. Also, get season football and basketball tickets. Take a class with Clarke Speed and watch your head explode.
    Summer 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Public Health (BS), Anthropology (BA)
    Food, Family, and Health: Intergenerational Dietary Change in Chinese Immigrants
    One day after graduating I will be spending time with family and friends. My plan for the day includes having a large breakfast, being outside, and eating ice cream.
    I will be returning from several months of travel in South America, India, and Southeast Asia. As such, I will likely be dirty, smelly, and hankering for a home cooked meal from my mom.
    In ten years I hope to be gardening, feeding chickens, hiking, teaching yoga, and doing work in community nutrition. Essentially exactly what I'm doing now except that I'll have a graduate degree and the thing that my grandparents affectionately call a real job." "
    Honors has allowed me to meet my best friends, find the work that I'm truly passionate about, and see the world. What more could you ask for?
    It's never too early to start doing research, travel, work on projects with professors you admire, publish papers, etc. Not that you need to work yourself to the bone, but life is short and you have access to an incredible wealth of opportunities on this campus! Oh, and go to office hours!
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    International Studies, Swedish
    Localizing Identity: the Position of Immigrant Women in Swedish Society
    Celebrating with my family and friends, hopefully enjoying some sunny Seattle weather.
    Getting my Master's at the University of Uppsala in Sweden, probably in Peace and Conflict Resolution.
    Probably working with a refugee focused NGO somewhere in Europe.
    It really helped to create a sense of community for me Freshman year coming into the University as an out of state student. I also really enjoyed my study abroad on sustainability and creative writing in Ecuador last summer.
    Take time to enjoy college, get enough sleep and sit in the sun when it's out!
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Architecture
    When Are We Architects?
    Sleeping in...
    Working in a firm preparing to go to grad school
    Running my goat farm on the fringes of society!
    This opportunity has presented me with a challenge that has allowed me to commit to my studies, strive for excellence in design, and feel great about my time at UW
    Keep your nose down, hit the books, and then hold your head high at graduation!
    Spring 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Anthropology
    Hyper-masculinity and U.S. Border Patrol Agents Along the U.S./Mexico Border
    Happily lounging without a thought of working on writing a thesis.
    Being a mom to my then 9 month old daughter, farming, barista-ing, and making art in the Methow valley. Supporting my husband with his dissertation research. Getting prepared to help run a field school in Southern Arizona. Beginning to think about applying to graduate school.
    Teaching high school, participating in research, being a parent, adventuring, and actively pursuing a life of joy.
    Being an honors student has allowed me the opportunity to pursue my own research interests and do independent study along the U.S./Mexico border. This involved traveling and living in a VW bus with my wiener dog in Southern California while exploring issues of masculinity and law enforcement.
    Gaining hands on experience and making connections are the most valuable things you can pursue as an undergrad and open doors for your future involvement in your field.
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Biology (General)
    Evolution in Abalone Sperm Proteins
    Celebrating in Seattle. Then working on my application to medical school.
    I expect to be traveling the world. I hope to take a trip lasting a few months in which I will circle the globe. Soon after I get back hopefully I will be starting medical school.
    In 10 years I want to be a physician living in California.
    The honors program has allowed me to take some unique classes that gave me the opportunity to grow as a person. I developed some of my personal beliefs and values because of these classes.
    Take advantage of all the opportunities that UW has!
    Summer 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Finance, International Business
    On a flight back from Southern France
    Studying Law at NYU
    Retired :)
    Honors courses were eye-opening, inspiring, and unique
    Take courses that have nothing to do with your major -- you may be surprised to discover a new passion
    Spring 2011
    Departmental
    Major(s):
    Industrial & Systems Engineering
    I will be in a place with lots of sun with my family for a vacation and cherish my time with them who come from afar for my graduation. I love them!
    Getting married? hahaha...
    With enough experience, I am hoping to start my own company in manufacturing / service industry and bless the surrounding community.
    Honors brought to my undergraduate experience many opportunities to meet with great people and learn from them.
    Study hard, hang out harder!
    Spring 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Scandinavian Area Studies, Linguistics
    Computerized Latvian Vocabulary Testing
    Driving to Palo Alto, California.
    Preparing to begin my Master's degree in Speech Language Pathology
    Helping people improve their fluency, for example, helping to reduce stuttering.
    Honors gave me the chance to take specialized classes at a high level, without having to take the pre-requisites usually associated with that level. I loved getting to hear about a wide variety of ideas in subjects outside of my major.
    Ask older students for advice on what Honors classes to take! It can be difficult to make the right choice based solely on the descriptions on the website.
    Spring 2011
    Departmental Honors
    Major(s):
    Mathematics; Japanese
    Learning Japanese as a foreign language in the context of an American university: A qualitative and process-oriented study on (de)motivation at the learning situation level
    In my apartment trying to clean up and move out.
    At UCSB studying more Math.
    Hopefully at some university teaching Math.
    Spring 2011
    Interdisciplinary Honors
    Major(s):
    Individualized Studies, Public Health
    Sex, Migration and HIV in the Dominican Republic
    I plan on either being with my family in Yakima getting ready for morning mass, or most likely still in Seattle with friends celebrating graduation the day before!!
    A year from graduation, I see myself in some remote village in the Dominican Republic holding a session on child nutrition.
    Rushing in traffic in order to attend a health summit in which I will be a key advisor, go big or go home, right?
    Honors has provided opportunity in study abroad (Rome WIN 2009, Sierra Leone SUM 2010), close interaction with other peers and overall enhancement of modes of thinking through intellectual challenge in the classroom WIthout Honors, integral parts that make me who I am today would be missing.
    Take advantage of the resources Honors has to offer. The program should be more than just another line on your resume. Advisors are there to help, and your peers are there and ready to enhance your overall undergraduate experience.
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Creative Writing
    In all likelihood I'll be writing, just like every other day.
    Ideally, I'll be in Boston studying songwriting at Berklee. Ideally, I'll be rockin' it.
    Staff or freelance songwriter, perhaps even a touring musician. 10 kids, 8 cats. A houseboat.
    Because I lived on an honors floor of the dorms Freshman year, it very much shaped my social groups. It also helped me recognize how much more valuable a basic 101 survey class is than wishy-washy ideasy classes.
    Clear out as many of the humanities credits as you can by ad-hocing a study abroad.
    Spring 2011
    College Honors
    Major(s):
    Computer Science
    Smart Connect for Last Mile Connectivity
    In bed, catching up on four years' lost sleep.
    Finishing my masters in computer science at the UW and getting ready to face the real world!
    Working as a software developer, hopefully in the Seattle area. Ideally I'll be working in sustainability or ICTD (technology for developing regions), perhaps at the Gates Foundation, but we'll see where life leads...
    Honors educates the whole person. I got an outstanding education and career prep in my major, but Honors exercised parts of my brain that aren't used so much in computer science, which taught me to value "soft" learning and not just hard book knowledge. Honors helped me become more well-rounded.
    Get involved. College has SO many opportunities - for academic learning, life learning, giving back, having fun - that will never come your way again. Obviously don't neglect your studies, but take advantage of those opportunities too!