Peer Educators 2018

Meet the 2018 Peer Educators!

About Honors 100 Peer Educators

Honors Peer Educators (PEs) are leaders in the Honors community by teaching a section of the Honors 100 seminar. They are integral in welcoming, mentoring, and informing incoming Honors students. PEs share insights about and experiences with Honors curriculum, community, and resources with new students.

In addition to leading an Honors 100 section, during both Spring and Autumn quarters, Honors 100 PEs meet weekly with one another and with the Honors 100 instructors to develop their courses collaboratively and to discuss important questions and challenges related to teaching and mentoring. These meetings provide a supportive environment to discuss openly the successes and challenges of leading Honors 100 sections.

Meet the 2018 Peer Educators!

Manasa – Section AA

Manasa Panganamala

Hi everyone! My name is Manasa and I am currently a senior majoring in General Biology. Here are some things you should know about me: I am from California (specifically the Bay Area), which is where I spent my entire life until I came to UW. I am a huge movie and TV nerd, especially anything Disney or Marvel related, so if you ever want to have a conversation about that, I would be more than happy to! I love animals and I have a dog named Nala. One of my favorite hobbies is finding new bookstores around Seattle to visit so that I can continue to grow my prized collection of books. Some things I am involved in off campus include being a tutor with the Pipeline Project and interning at a local nonprofit called Team Survivor North West. Through Honors, I have been able to explore a wide array of classes and really expand my interests beyond my Biology major.  I hope to be able to share what I consider to be the best parts of the Honors program with all of you. I look forward to meeting you all in the fall!

Tristan – Section AB

Tristan Walde

Howdy! My name is Tristan Walde and I’m a senior studying Creative Writing with a minor in Finnish. Finnish you say? Kyllä ​​minä sanon, which has included an amazing three week (tuition free) summer abroad opportunity in Turku, Finland following my freshman year, still one of my greatest UW experiences so far. Beyond that, I grew up in Spokane, Washington and have been blessed with a calm, quiet demeanor. In my free time I enjoy hanging out with friends, watching sports, and pondering my existence. My Honors journey has been one of immense self-reflection and personal growth and I’m very excited to share what I’ve learned after my first three years as you prepare to embark on your own unique journey. The Honors Program provides an amazing opportunity to carve out an intimate support network as you transition into a large university setting, in fact, 3 of my current roommates are folks I met through Honors and they’ve all become some of my closest friends. I know how much Honors has meant to me in enriching my college experience and I hope I can help pass that meaning onto you. I’m always an open and eager listener and can’t wait to give my best self to you guys this fall! Thanks.  

Riley – Section AC

Riley Brown

Hello everyone! My name is Riley and I am currently in my third year at UW. I am studying Business Administration with concentration in Finance and Marketing. This is also my second year being a Peer Educator so I am super excited to have this opportunity once again! The Honors Program has been a definite highlight in my time at UW, so I have loved getting to help introduce new students to this wonderful program! In my free time, you can usually find me cheering on the Huskies or Seahawks, playing with my dogs, watching Friends, or drinking coffee at various cafes around Seattle. Welcome once again to UW and the Honors Program, we’re so excited to have you!

Megan – Section AD

Megan Baffaro

Hello! My name is Megan, and I am currently a Sophomore studying Political Science (and considering double majoring in Law, Societies, and Justice). I was born in Portland, Oregon and grew up in Camas, Washington. I am very excited to be a Peer Educator and help welcome you to Honors and to UW! I am involved in a few student leadership positions on campus, including the Residential Programming Board and Hall Council, so if you have questions about getting involved I am happy to answer them! I also just love spending time on campus, going to events, and exploring the city and surrounding area. I enjoy eating Thai food, watching Netflix, kayaking, art, reading, writing, and traveling. I also love my dog, who is so pretty she could be a model. Some of my favorite TV shows are Parks and RecGame of ThronesStranger Things, and Brooklyn 99, all of which I’d love to talk about! I can’t wait to get to know you all, and I look forward to meeting each of you!

Lia – Section AE

Lia Koklic

Hello! My name is Lia Koklic and I am currently a sophomore pursuing a double degree in French and Biology. I am passionate about baking of any kind! When I am not baking, you can find me working on various DIY projects like clay charms, bath fizzies, and creams. In the winter, I love to spend my free time skiing down the mountain, but once the snow melts I like to make good use of my two feet on hikes. That is, when I am not on the tennis court. On Sundays, I am a volunteer at a no-kill animal shelter where I work with dogs. This means I get lots of cuddles and walking! I look forward to meeting you in Honors 100!

Andrew – Section AF

Andrew Anthony

Hey there! My name’s Andrew Anthony, and I’m a Senior studying Business-Finance here at the University of Washington. I really look forward to meeting all my Honors 100 students in the fall, but until that time comes, here’s a little info about myself:

I love Avatar the Last Airbender, Harry Potter, and mixed martial arts. In my free time I enjoy playing video games, playing drums, and eating copious amounts of ice cream. For my first three years at UW I hopped around majors a lot, going from considering creative writing, to communications, to finally settling on business. So if anyone has any questions on any of those majors (or really just the topic of majors in general) I’m happy to share my wide range of experiences with you.

As far as my teaching style goes, I tend to be relaxed and I love cracking corny jokes, so prepare for that. I also strive to be clear and concise with my expectations, so if there’s ever any confusion, I’ll be happy to answer questions.

As a final note, I really look forward to meeting you all in the fall. I know when I came to UW I had a lot of questions swirling around my head about what I would study, how I would feel living on my own, and how I’d find my own community. I don’t have all of that figured out yet, but I’d like to think that I’ve learned some about all three of those things the past few years, and I’m excited to share that with you all. See you soon!

Raveena – Section AH

Raveena Bhui

Hey gang! My name is Raveena, and I am in my first year here at UW! I’m doing a dual degree in biochemistry and philosophy, with a minor in chemistry… and if my parents have any say, I guess I am on the pre-med track, as well. I have lived almost my entire life in the PNW (snaps if you know where Camas is), but you probably couldn’t guess it from the fact that I still have no clue how to dress for the weather here. I mean, obviously I renounce the umbrella, but unless there is a flood of biblical proportions, catch me sporting my Tevas: you’re going to have to un-velcro those babies from my cold (wet), dead feet! That being said, as you might have already guessed, I am proud to announce that I am tra$h! Like, my favorite movie is The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, but my music and podcast taste has been curated over the past 7 years (please ask me for recommendations because I enjoy flaunting my inflated sense of self).

Anyways, I’m super excited to be a Peer Educator this autumn! For me, Honors (and just college, in general) has been super enlightening and has facilitated this new outlook on what it means to explore issues through multiple lenses of academia in order to be a more engaged citizen of the world! I mean, despite agonizing over the existence of Bigfoot and Californians, I wasn’t previously very vulnerable to issues outside of my proverbial “bubble,” which is a journey that I still am on! In any case, I am super excited to meet all of you and to witness the exploration of your identity, your intellectual growth through a complex interdisciplinary lens, and how your interaction with the world around you changes and evolves as you move into this new phase of early adulthood!

Avidant – Section AI

Avidant Bhagat

Hey! I’m Avidant and I’m a Senior studying Computer Science. I am an Interdisciplinary Honors Student and am minoring in Business (Entrepreneurship) and Informatics.

I joined the Honors Program as a Second Year Admit and have taken several Honors Classes in my 2 years in the Program.

My favorite part about the Honors Program is the ability to choose your own courses. The Honors Program at UW is unique as it doesn’t only give you greater depth and breath, but also gives you the opportunity to choose your own path to the same. I have had the opportunity to learn about Human Trafficking, Music, and Emotions.

Outside of the Honors Program, I have and continue to work with various Departments on campus in a variety of positions.  I have worked as a Software Developer for CSE and HFS, worked at CoMotion Labs, and am a Residence Education Programmer with HFS. I have founded and been an Officer of an RSO on campus, and work hard to improve Student Life for students at UW.

Some of my passions outside of school include playing Basket Ball, swimming and Reading. I am also part of the Harry Potter Club which is a great and fun community!

Karina – Section AJ

Karina Paup Byrnes

Hey guys! My name is Karina and I am a junior studying psychology. I grew up on the Olympic Peninsula so coming to Seattle was a big change, but have learned to truly love the city. I am so excited to introduce you all to the Interdisciplinary Honors Program and also to welcome you to UW! You can often find me at in the Health Sciences building where I work as a student assistant, volunteering for service-learning project, or studying outside when the sun is out. In my free time, I love getting food with friends, exploring a new area with UW’s hiking club and watching way too much Netflix. I can’t wait to get to know all of you this fall and be able to share with you all the experiences and opportunities Honors has to offer!

Anya – Section AK

Anya Watson

My name is Anya Watson and I am a junior double majoring in English and Philosophy. I am so excited to meet all my Honors 100 students and be a Peer Educator this fall! A little bit about me: I love dogs, traveling, and Lord of the Rings. In my free time I like to draw and paint, play piano and guitar, cook, read, and write. Throughout my time at UW I have been involved in Greek Life and currently serve as the Historian and Reporter for my chapter. I am happy to answer any questions about my majors (or the process of choosing a major), what I do outside of school, or about the Honors Program in general. Once again, I look forward to meeting my students and getting to know them all!

Forrest – Section AN

Forrest Miller

Hello everyone. I am very excited to see you in class this fall. I’m pretty awkward at introductions, but I will do my best to give you a brief description of myself. As a student, I have pretty diverse interests. I am a sophomore majoring in physics or mechanical engineering, but I love learning about topics that range from music to ecology. I look forward to hearing what interests you.

Outside of class, I love building things. I am a member of the WOOF 3D printing club where I built a large format printer as well as my own personal printer, and I am also a member of the Human Powered Submarine team where I am building a racing submarine that will compete in England this summer. Both are awesome clubs that I highly recommend for anyone who is interested. 

Community involvement is a new priority for me, but I am enjoying exploring it. I plan and participate in honors events as an Honors Community Ambassador, and I recently started a volunteer position at Harborview Medical Center. I am having a great time with the honors community, and I hope the hospital work will be equally enjoyable. I’ll know more when I get assigned to a department. 

Now for some personal background. I grew up on Vashon Island and attended Vashon Island High School and graduated with my class of 100 other students, so I used to a smaller community. I made the transition to UW without too much trouble, but there are certainly aspects of the school I am still getting used to. I like to keep busy, but in my free time I enjoy running, cooking, climbing, sailing, and hanging out with my roommates. I would like to go hiking more often than I do, but I have yet to join one of the hiking clubs on campus. 

I look forward to getting to know you, and I hope you have a great time in Honors 100. 

Anders – Section BA

Anders Peterson

Hello! I’m Anders, a senior almost done majoring in English. Academically I have a specific interest in reality television, affect, and anything by Virginia Woolf or Elizabeth Bishop. Outside of class I work as an event coordinator with the UW Botanic Gardens, so if any of you need a venue for a wedding just let me know! I also run weekly open improv rehearsals through the Undergraduate Theater Society, feel free to pop by whenever you would like!

This is my second time being a Peer Educator and I cannot wait to meet everyone and get class started! Honors 100 is a wonderful chance to get to know the UW and the Honors community, and to develop lasting relationships with your peers. It is always exciting for me when I see my Honors 100 students in a class or when they have their picture in the Honors office as a scholarship recipient. I strive to make my classroom a space for learning and community, with a little humor thrown in as well. 

Jenna – Section BB

Jenna Truong

Hi there! My name is Jenna Truong and I am so excited to welcome you all to the Honors Program! I will be going into my second year here at UW and I am currently in the Civil and Environmental Engineering program, but potentially looking into Environmental Science and Terrestrial Resource Management with a minor in education. I love all things science and math and I have had a wonderful time in all of the honors classes I have taken thus far. So far during my time at the University of Washington, I have been involved with Honors Community Ambassadors, Circle K, and I will be taking part in the Honors study abroad program in Italy the summer of 2018. Outside of school I have worked for both the Seattle Department of Transportation and the Washington State Department of Transportation through the Civil and Environmental Department. When I’m not doing homework I enjoy hiking, eating ice cream, drinking boba, exploring Seattle, and hanging out with my best pals. You’ll probably catch me at every honors event, or if it’s a sunny day, “photosynthesizing” in the quad. I am extremely grateful and excited that I get to be a part of your first quarter here at the University of Washington and I can’t wait to introduce you to all of my favorite things about the Honors Program this autumn!

Linda – Section BD

Linda Zhang

I’m a science fanatic, a history buff, and an over caffeinated peer educator. According to the astrological, psychological, and buzz-feed indicators, I am enthusiastic, creative, and an adventurer. When I’m not studying in the Harry Potter Room, I can be found across Seattle trying out new restaurants. Living in New York, Shanghai, and Pullman, I have experienced culture shock, counter culture shock, and the struggle of running start/AP credit transfers. Out-of-state, in-state, and international students, I’ve got your back!

Justen – Section BE

Justen Hardaway

Hi everyone! My name is Justen and I am from Auburn, Washington which is 40 minutes south of Seattle. I am currently a sophomore studying public health. If you have any questions about pre health classes or general chemistry, feel free to ask me! I am also in Greek life, so if you have any questions about balancing honors and Greek life, you more than welcome to ask me! In my free time, you can usually find me catching up on shows like Grey’s Anatomy or Riverdale. Honors has offered me so many experience and activities since I have been at UW. I’m so excited to meet all you and tell you about this amazing program!

Laura Anne – Section BF

Laura Anne Wallace

Hi I’m Laura Anne! I grew up in the Seattle area and I am so proud to be a second-generation Husky! I am intending to major in psychology along with my interdisciplinary studies and hope to eventually pursue a master’s degree in this subject. When I am not in class or studying, I enjoy skiing, reading, baking, and boating in Lake Washington!  I also find that I am always on the hunt latest and greatest psychological / mystery crime series on Netflix! I’m proud to call Seattle home and truly believe that there isn’t a more beautiful place to live (especially on a sunny day!). I have a background in ballet, love cheering for Seattle sports teams, and carve out many hours a week to stay in touch with my sisters who are spread across the country. I am passionate about the Honors Program and Psychology and I am happy to share about my experiences as a student thus far at UW!

Kiran – Section BG

Kiran Singh

Hi lovelies, welcome to UW! My name is Kiran, and I’m so excited to meet y’all! I’m a freshman studying Political Science and Law, Societies, and Justice, (with hopeful minors in Human Rights and Ethics) while following a pre-law track. I’m in a pre-law fraternity and I spent my freshman ear being a part of Terry Hall Council as well. I love being involved with RSOs and other community organizations on campus, especially ones catered towards the Honors program, like Honors Community Ambassadors. I cannot wait to share my love for interdisciplinary learning with y’all and offer support in any way possible. 

A bit more about me: my happy place is listening to one of my extensively curated Spotify playlists in the sun on the Terry rooftop, my bloodstream is probably 27% caffeine, I’m extremely accident-prone (I’m typing this with one hand right now because I injured my rotator cuff twenty minutes into a hike), I adore law and politics, I’m creatively-inept (can’t do art or play an instrument or sing — but all of those things are SO cool), I think dogs are the most ethereal beings known to mankind, and I hope I can be a strong resource for all of you as you make your way into the Interdisciplinary Honors program.

See y’all soon! ♥

Mac – Section BH

McKenzie Murray

Hi everyone! My name is Mac and I’m in my second year at UW. I’m an English major with a focus in creative writing, and I’m always down to talk about books, plays, TV shows, and any other “creative writing” that you love to read or watch. I write for The Daily and tutor in Seattle public schools through UW’s Pipeline Project. I really like biking and birdwatching, even though I don’t know very much about either of those things. Both of my parents are veterinarians, so I’ve grown up around a very eclectic cast of animals (including my bird, Citrus!); I have a big love for all pets and will gush over yours if you show me a picture. I can give you tips on the best places to birdwatch, get vegetarian food, or find a quiet space around campus, and I’m an absolute pro at working the bus system to get around Seattle and Tacoma. Though I’ve lived in Olympia, Washington for the past 8 years, I grew up in Sheridan, Wyoming. Living in Seattle has been a big change, but I love the literary scene in this city! 

Kiana – Section BI

Kiana Rahni

Hey ya’ll- My name is Kiana and I grew up in the great city of Vancouver, WA. I am currently a junior studying Economics, Political Science, and Global Health here at the UW. My involvement on campus includes the Student Philanthropy Education Program (SPEP), Delta Sigma Pi Business Fraternity, The Advisory Board for the College of Arts and Sciences (ASACS), and the UW Women in Economics board. These experiences have provided me with tons of resources and ways to learn about and be a part of shaping the “Husky Experience” for students. I can’t want to meet you all and spend the next quarter learning together! Outside of school I love to read and watch as much Netflix/HBO as my course load allows- so please keep me updated with your recommendations! 

Allegra – Section BL

Allegra Johnson

Hi everyone, my name is Allegra, and I am so excited to get to know you all! I’m currently studying Psychology and Neurobiology and am constantly wondering why people are the way they are. A fun fact about me is that I lived the first 16 years of my life in Japan and my first language was Japanese. I have several communities here at UW in the Japanese Student Association, the Neurobiology Club, and best of all in the Honors program. I absolutely love being at a large school where I constantly have the opportunity to meet different kinds of people with different life stories! In my free time you can find me writing songs on the piano, painting, people watching, and running to gas works to catch the sunset. I love brussels sprouts, oranges, lentils, and chocolate croissants, and I pretty much look forward to my morning coffee every day. I hope you enjoy your journey of discovery here at the UW and in the Honors program, and I can’t wait to see how your story unfolds!

I’m so excited to meet you all and introduce you to the honors program (and to see pictures of your pets!!)!

Interested in Becoming a Peer Educator?

Great! More information about the role can be found on the Honors Peer Educator page and we will be hosting information sessions and accepting applications for 2019 Peer Educators during the beginning of Winter quarter. If you have questions now about how to become a Peer Educator, feel free to reach out to Carissa Mayer at cdmayer@uw.edu. Your Peer Educator can also provide you with valuable information about the selection process, preparation seminars, and their experience so don’t hesitate to ask them questions as well.